Home follow
The Joy Luck Club.

I just finished watch The Joy Luck Club, probably one of the best films of all time- in my opinion.


Such an amazing movie. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me confused, and it made me ask many questions (most to my mom because I didn't understand the Chinese parts). This film is definitely on my top 10 list of best films. 

However, I was disenchanted by the stereo typical Chinese portrayed in this film. I was quite annoyed about how they were vaguely stating that all or most Chinese were scholars or some sort of child prodigy, that elders or parents expected many things and they were very controlling, that Chinese children always play some sort of classical instrument, older generation woman always wanted a boy for children, things like that just kept bothering me. 


"Praised the film for presenting images of Asian-Americans outside the narrow range of childhood violinists and spelling bee winners." -Gene Siskel, critic. (Source: Wikipedia). Thanks mom and dad for enrolling me in violin lessons, playing since age 5 and still currently playing. When I tell people or my friends I play violin, they give that Hm-hum-uh...-duh-you-play-the-violin look.

Although, I was a bit disappointed about the Chinese stereo type portrayed in the film, it was still such an amazing film. All the actors and actresses were so good, it sent out a powerful message and I think many people of my age should try it out and experience a new kind of movie.

-t

Labels: , , , , , ,

About
tiffany- from nyc and i like kpop
Music
Credits
Layout and header image by mymostloved with base image, brushes and background.